On Wednesday 19th March, Urban Synergy held Academic Role Model Seminar at Deptford Green School. The event was hosted by Barrister Garry Green, one of Urban Synergy’s volunteers and co-hosted by Gavin Kumara a former pupil of Deptford Green school and Urban Synergy Ambassador currently studying Marketing. Six graduates shared their academic journeys and current career achievements ranging from entertainment, finance, trading and management to inspire an audience of over forty people, made up of year 10 students and their parents.
The audience came away with inspiration, top tips and some actions to take to pursue their goals.
The panel consisted of:
- Ola Masha, Writer/Director British Film Institute, graduate of New York University in Film Making
- Martin Imafidon, Account Manager, graduate of University of West London in Computer Science graduate
- Katherine Lee, Business graduate scheme/work experience trainee, graduate of University of Warwick in global media and communication / History of Art with Italian graduate
- Debodun Osekita, Derivatives Trader, graduate of University of Warwick in Maths, Statistics and Economicse
- Hope Levy-Shepherd, student at Oxford University studying English Language and Literature
The panellist top tips were:
“Learn from others experiences so that you can succeed to get to the top”
“Surround yourself with high achievers, work hard and be competitive to reach your full potential”
“To be successful, work hard and build positive networks”
“It is up to you to stay motivated, focused and determined to achieve your goals”